Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.
We all need to know that we can count on our loved ones to support and stand with us.
But what happens when our helping causes harm?
We’ve all hurt others, and we’ve all been hurt by others in the name of helping.
Some dos and don’ts I’ve learned along the way
- Don’t say what they already know. “You’re out of control, you need to let go, that wasn’t your best decision,” are not helpful.
- Don’t offer negative comments. words like, “You shouldn’t, you can’t, you always screw up,” etc., tear your loved ones down.
- Do ask questions. “What do you plan to do? Do you have supports in place? How can I help you?”
- Do listen. Let them talk. Holding pain inside keeps people trapped in their own chamber of horrors.
- Do offer comfort. A promise of support. A hug. A hand on their shoulder.
~ DIANA’S ENORMOUS BOOK OF QUOTES ~
What helping tips do you have?
- How to Listen to a Friend Who is Hurting (barbarascovillelcsw.com)